Formed in 2003, New York-based New Humans make collaborative works at the intersection of sound, installation, and performance actions. New Humans emerged out of Mika Tajima's art practice and is a moniker for her projects with other musicians, artists and designers.
New Humans performances and recordings continue a working use of physical materials, piercing drones, sheer static, and low bass frequencies.
Members are Howie Chen, Mika Tajima, and Eric Tsai.
* Past participants include Danny Barria, Nick Phillips, and Bella Foster.
New Humans performance, The Station, Miami
New Humans performance, Circuit, Lausanne, Switzerland
New Humans, Grass Grows Forever in Every Possible Direction & Infinite Black Noise, PICA TBA:06l, Oregon
New Humans performance performance in celebration of Rirkrit Tiravanija's & Mark di Suvero's Peace Tower at the Whitney Biennial, Whitney Museum , New York. Speakers & performers included Irving Petlin, Arnold Mesches, John Weber, Apeshit, Japanther, John Giorno, Momus, and Lynne Stewart, among others.
New Humans, presented by the RISD Museum, Providence, Rhode Island.
New Humans with Notekillers (ecstatic peace) at Cakeshop, New York.
New Humans in Vídeo Música Vídeo, and performance at El Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid, Spain. Curated by Bob Nickas.
New Humans with Matt Suib collaboration, Cosmic Microwave Background or the Problem with Interstellar Communication Breakdown,P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center
New Humans with Matt Suib collaboration, Cosmic Microwave Background or the Problem with Interstellar Communication Breakdown, Apex Art, New York
New Humans, Dj Olive + Toshio Kajiwara + Markus Miller + Dj North Guinea Hills, Tyondai Braxton, Services, Dub Trio, Talibam at Tonic, New York. Benefit for Steve Kurtz of Critical Art Ensemble.
New Humans performance for Rirkrit Tiravanija Untitled 2002 (he promised) installation organized by the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York.
New Humans performance, Broken Meter, performance and installation for The Freedom Salon presented at Deitch Projects, New York.
New Humans, Grass Grows Forever in Every Possible Direction, presented by Lighting for Urban Rooftop Environments in conjunction with The Big Nothing, Institute of Contemporary Art, University of Pennsylvania.
New Humans clothing collaboration with Whole Cloth and New Humans Video #1 included in Drunk vs. Stoned, Gavin Brown's Passerby, New York
Installation design collaboration, Mika Tajima and United Bamboo
New Humans in New York Armory Show, Swiss Institute Contemporary Art booth, New York.
Performance and clothing collaboration.
New Humans in Olav Westphalen's Blimp Derby Invitational 2003,Sculpture Center, LIC, New York
- Cain, Nick, New Humans - AKA, Wire, 291, 2008. recording review
- Ed Pinsent, New Humans, The Sound Projector, Issue 15, 2007. review Disassociate
- Momus, The iceberg listens, melts, 8/06, review of Disassociate
- Nordschow, Randy, New Music Box/American Music Center, 7/06 review of Disassociate
- imomus, 4/06 on Whitney Museum performance
- The Museum as Amplifier, Domus Issue 881, 5/05.
- Ritter, P. Lost and Found, City Pages Minneapolis, 5/20/05
- Backstorm, Fia. New Humans, Lesser New York (exhibition pub.), 3/17/05
- Conte, Kari.Audio/Video (exhibition pub.), Apex Art, 2/05.
- After the Riots, Repellentzine, 9/05
- Armetta, Amoreen. "Along for the ride," Time Out New York, 3/11-18/04.
| news | sound | images | releases | info | contact |
© 2005-2006 New Humans